So I picked up this old KLR650 in 2013 to play around with. It ended up sitting around for quite a while because I always have too many projects to work on. But finally I needed some mental health time for myself so I started tearing the bike apart to do some regular maintenance.
The bike has about 25,500 miles on it, and the engine runs pretty good. However, there are a few items that I wanted to look at before taking it out to the desert.
- Doohickey upgrade
- Replace coolant, hoses, inspect waterpump
- Replace old chain and sprockets
- Flush brake systems and install new pads
- Install original suspension dogbones and new kickstand
- New mirrors, air filter, and other minor items
This page has a list of all of the modifications and part sourcing.
Here is a list of KLR resources that are absolutely priceless if you are going to be wrenching on your own bike.